1.07.2018

A Farewell to Dreadlocks

And hello to another transformation.

October of 2016 I decided to stop working on my dreadlocks, just to stop maintaining them and see what happens. That thought progressed into the final decision leading to cutting them on my 30th birthday.

Just about a year or so into having dreadlocks, I had a conversation with my best friend and casually decided that I would cut them off when I turn 30. I like to do major changes to my appearance as a sort of reflection of a change or milestone. Often times these end up being on or near my birthday but not always. Ever since that casual conversation, I put it into stone. The fall of 2016 happened naturally, I was getting tired of my dreads in some aspects, not really happy with them, wanting to change something but not really having the means. So I just stopped tending to them all together. Then I decided to try to remove some and pull my hair out of them, just to see what it would take. I also decided that I did not want to shave them off completely but to grow them out. I had just started a new job at the time and didn't think it would be professional to be totally bald. I started to envision a very short hairstyle that I wanted. I slowly worked on removing them. Cutting some off here and there throughout 2017. All the sudden my birthday was coming up, I had to remove them quicker, time was running out. I made a plan to cut them just before my birthday for Halloween. I always try to figure my costume out early, I planned to be Lisbeth Salander, the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Perfect, I thought, my hair would be just right.

I strained to get the dreads out in time for my hair appointment with a friend. I was so focused on the expiration date that I never truly had a moment to realize what I was doing, I just wanted it done in time. I never had a sad moment, I had a year to prepare physically and mentally. It couldn't have worked out any better. I had told people in my life, but most of them forgot about it. My Halloween costume shocked people but not in the way I expected. Most people had no idea who I was dressed as, most people thought I was wearing a wig [something I had done a few times before] but then they started to notice the reality. My dreads were gone. All gone as of October 27th, 2017.










I started my dreads July 6th, 2009. Had them for over 8 years. They were mostly good to me. I loved having them, loved the lack of work compared to the daily upkeep it is with undreaded hair. At this moment I don't miss them but when I see other people with dreadlocks it does make me a little sad. However, I am very excited about this change, change within my control is always fun. However, my hair is still finding its identity, I like it, but still figuring out what to do with it, how to make it mine, make it unique. A lot of people respond well to it, and that's nice and everything, but hardly matters to what I feel about it. It varies day by day, sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. Being able to run my fingers through my hair feels glorious, I had to relearn how to use a brush, I had to adjust to the lack of weight, cleaning and drying is so quick now. I haven't really had to explain to people that, "I used to have dreadlocks" as much as I thought I would. I don't feel like a lost my identity as much as when I've made other drastic changes to my appearance in the past. I even noticed that I inspired another coworker to do the same. I'm still running into people who don't recognize me at first glance. Their reactions are priceless. I always figured if I ever get to the point where I deeply miss the dreads I can always start them again, but for now I'm content to try this new thing out.


I should also conclude that my 30th birthday celebration was wonderful, and passed by far too quickly. But I will have more to say in the next post.

No comments: